I am a brand ambassador with The Container Store and this blog was written in partnership with them.
I don’t know about you but my family and I are still being extremely cautious with who we allow into our home these days. That said, we have all been at home for SO long that I know many of you are itching for some changes and want to create new organizational systems in your space. Enter the amazing Elfa products from The Container Store. Did you know that the Elfa custom closets, pantries, garage systems and more can all be done with DIY install?
Our team has been a HUGE fan of all things Elfa for years! We love the customizable options, variety of designs and often take advantage of The Container Store’s installation services. But the Elfa line is available for DIY install so you can continue to social distance and limit the number of people entering your home. You can also take advantage of The Container Store’s Contactless Curbside pickup to avoid any shipping delays and (as if you needed more) The Container Store’s annual Elfa Sale is going on right now – so you can shop now to receive up to 30% off all Elfa products.
Now I know there are a lot of us out there that are a little weary of DIY projects or have had some nightmare experiences in the past but the whole DIY process with The Container Store is so easy that anyone can do it! Give yourself a Saturday, a few tools and some confidence in yourself and you got this!
The Container Store Elfa DIY Process
1. The first step in the process of installing Elfa in your home is a design consultation with the amazing team at The Container Store. This can either be done in one of the stores or through a virtual appointment from the comfort of your own home. Or if you are more of the DIY all around type you can design your closet yourself via their online designer.
2. Either before or after your consultation you will need to measure the space. Measuring the space isn’t tricky but is something you will need to do carefully to ensure the final product fits perfectly in the space. The Container Store has a super helpful guide on how to measure your space here. Pro tip: don’t forget to note the height of your baseboards when measuring your space as this will impact the overall height of your pieces.
3. After you have measured your space you will pass along the drawings to the team at The Container Store. See our sample below, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy!
4. The team will then put together a sample plan of your space for your review and approval. The plan will outline all of the elements they are proposing in the space from the shelves to drawers and any other details you need for your space. This install was a simple (but highly functional) laundry room system. The Container Store team is amazing and takes into account every detail like the space for the top loading washer in the laundry room.
5. After the design is complete the team will finalize your order either for shipping or their Contactless Curbside pickup from the store.
6. You will receive all of the elements you need for the space from the top tracks to the anchors. One of the most amazing parts of the Elfa DIY Install is their customized instructions. You will be given a Space ID with your plan and can enter the space ID online for customized instructions. The instructions are super helpful and include everything from a list of the tools you need to install to step by step instructions in the correct order for install. And if you need a little extra help there are tons of videos on The Container Store’s website.
7. Every Elfa install will be a bit different but for this laundry room the steps were: measure and drill for the top track, place the anchors, install the top track, install the hanging standards, install the brackets, install the shelfs, add the decor elements like the standard covers and the sit back and admire your work. You can see a few sneak peeks below but the whole process took less than an afternoon and completely maximized the usable space in this laundry room.
Organized Laundry Room with Elfa System
The end result of this organized laundry room is stunning! The space was completely transformed by the Elfa system and the whole install was done by the homeowner’s themselves. The ability to customize the Elfa system allowed us to squeeze in more storage in the laundry room by utilizing the small wall on the right for additional shelves. The classic Elfa design with the added trim decor pieces and standard covers created a polished look but still perfectly durable for a laundry room.
I hope this transformed space inspires you to tackle a little DIY of your own and don’t forget to take advantage of The Container Store’s annual Elfa Sale for up to 30% off all Elfa products.
Organized Laundry Room Products
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.